Here’s another delicious recipe using our NO GUILT APPLE SAUCE instead of oil. (Please note: the cake shown was made by doubling the recipe; we can’t seem to get enough of it!!).
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 20 cm round cake tin with oil or melted butter. Line the base and sides with baking paper.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl. Add sugar and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
3. Whisk together eggs and applesauce; pour into well and stir.
4. Add carrot, pineapple and nuts to the mixture and mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre of cake.
5. Cool cake in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Using electric beaters, beat together all the frosting ingredients until well combined. Spread onto the cooled cake and sprinkle with orange rind or more nuts.
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
2/3 cup soft brown sugar
¼ cup No Guilt Apple Sauce
1 cup grated carrot
440g crushed pineapple, drained
¼ chopped walnuts or pecans
60g butter softened
60g cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla essence